May 26, 2008

Shocking Price!

I saw this 'banner' from a home furniture shop in the city today. I don't know, what they meant by the 'shocking price'. Was it because the price was too cheap or too expensive? Because if you ask me, prices have really increased tremendously these days.

I've heard and read about the price increase of rice and other staple commodities in the Philippines and even here in Thailand but somehow it didn't sink in me until today. I really thought that there was a price increase but maybe something like 5-10 baht difference. But I was proven wrong.

We went to Carrefour today to do our monthly grocery and I was 'shocked' with the price increase where my Hubby will have to tell me from time to time, " It's okay..don't get too shocked!" Hahahha!

Here is a sample of the list of things that I used to buy and the price increase:

Rice
Before- 70 baht for 5 kilos
Now - 149 Baht for 5 kilos

Butter
Before- 45 Baht
Now- 75 Baht

Eggs ( 10 pcs)
Before- 38 Baht
Now - 50 Baht

Brown Sugar
Before- 22 Baht
Now- 32 Baht

RefinedSugar
Before 15 Baht
Now 23 Baht

Whew!!! Looking at the prices will really make you sweat..heheh! And not to mention that the gasoline price has also soared to 39.8 Baht per liter...I remember that was only 23 Baht a few years ago. I wonder how much it is now in the Philippines.

The prices has just increased at the twinkling of an eye...tsk..tsk..tsk...sometimes, when there's a crises like this we tend to think and worry a lot...what would the future bring, how we're going to live if the prices increase will go on and all the other thoughts...but as I think about these, I'm also reminded of what Jesus said,

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-34

4 comments:

Mariz said...

Hi! I like your blog, actually I should say...I am blessed by it. Keep up the good work!

Been to Thailand twice just for a tour, really nice and very warm people. So, I suppose the prices for Tom Yum and Pad Thai have also sky-rocketed huh, well that won't discourage me from still ordering those two favorites of mine if ever I get the chance to go back, nothing beats having authentic Thai food in Thailand itself. I have some photos of Phuket in my blog, hope you can drop by sometime and if you're interested we can exchange links.

Thanks and God bless! Enjoy your day!

Prily said...

kami na lang mga putot ani wala nagataas, my friend!hehehehe!

Aisha said...

Ay dili nalang ko sa Thailand hehe jk, mahala no?

Wendy Lopez-Redaon said...

hello Lalaine =)

prices of everything have skyrocketed here in manila as well especially electricity! meralco is overcharging people again am afraid. I avoid watching the news cus it gets really depressing somtimes. but like what the Lord said "do not worry..." haaay buti nalang as Christians the economy in the spiritual realm is entirely different! Just trust the Lord and obey and He will provide!!!