May 13, 2008

The Reading Challenge

My Li'l girl just turned 4 years old and is so ready to go to school. Since we are in a country that doesn't use English as the primary language, we're quite in a dilemma regarding our girl's education. We've decided not to send her to a local school since all subjects will be in Thai and the bilingual schools and international schools are also expensive. So far our only choice for now would be homeschooling. If given a choice I would want to send her to a normal school but as for now, we'll have to settle with home schooling.

So, as a start I'm using this book given to me by my friend, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann. I've just started with my li'l girl and I'm quite impressed with the book. It's very easy; no flashcards, colorful materials nor other things needed but just the book , a pencil and a paper and that's it. Not only my daughter enjoys the lessons but the teacher (that's me) as well. I just literally have to open the book, follow or read aloud what's written on it and each lesson will be done in 20 minutes max. Just enough time before my li'l girl becomes restless.

We're just in Day 4 and 3 letters were already introduced (letters m, s and a) and with these 3 letters she can already read 2 letter words like 'am' and 'ma'. I'm excited about this. Another 97 days and she's sure to read. My friend's children learned to read through this book, that's why she highly recommends it. I just have to be consistent in giving her 20 minutes of my time everyday. Then, I hope by September my li'l girl can already read.

3 comments:

Prily said...

wow!!!thanks for sharing this,my friend. i will surely look for this book for my 4year old.i know my son is going to school but still i love teaching him and the best way is through a good book.hope i can find it here in UK.

Jan said...

i tried looking for this book at mph but couldn't find it. for now, my boy learns to read by recognition + phonetics.

lareine said...

this is a good idea lalaine! 20 minutes is a good duration for the lessons and besides it's better that it is done regularly than having only a few long "learning time"... practice and regularity is the key, even for adults...

well, i'm sure your daughter will be able to read by september... she seems to be a smart girl... and you're quite diligent... so here's to more happy learning lessons :)